Findlay City Council Advances Park and Bridge Design Plans Amid Controversy

BY PATTY KLEIN
FINDLAY - The Findlay City Council met on July 15 and advanced legislation to complete the design process for both the controversial $40 million downtown park and a proposed $8 million walking bridge within the park. The vote passed 7–2, with Councilman Niemeyer and Councilwoman Frische voting no.
Council chambers were filled with residents and others interested in the plans. Mathias Leguire addressed the council, revealing that the contractor listed in the proposed legislation for the bridge design has already posted plans and renderings of the walking bridge on their website. It appears the company may be presenting the Findlay project as completed, despite no funds having been allocated for the bridge prior to the July 15 meeting.
Rosales + Partners – Blanchard River Bridge

Residents at the meeting were surprised to see the proposed bridge listed as a $10 million project—contrasting with the $8 million figure presented by Mayor Christina Muryn.
Several residents asked the City Council to pause the project until voters in Findlay have the opportunity to decide whether or not they want the park to be built. A group called Findlay Citizens for a Safe City is currently circulating an initiative petition. If enough signatures are gathered, the issue will appear on the November ballot for public approval or rejection.
The area designated for the park has a complex history. Flooding along the Blanchard River has long challenged the city. In response, Findlay adopted a flood control strategy known as river benching, which involves excavating sections of the riverbank to increase the river’s capacity during high-water events. Mayor Muryn’s administration has proposed integrating the new downtown park into this broader flood mitigation effort.
Environmental safety remains one of the project’s most contentious issues. The riverfront site was formerly home to several industrial businesses known to have used hazardous materials. Environmental testing has revealed contaminants in the soil, including lead and hexavalent chromium—the toxic compound made infamous by the Erin Brockovich case involving groundwater contamination in Hinkley, California.
Attorney Jeff Forte, who has experience in environmental contamination cases, spoke during the meeting to inform council members that, in his opinion, the soil at the proposed park site will be cleaned to a level that meets established safety guidelines. However, Councilwoman Frische has repeatedly requested that the site be cleaned to a residential standard, which would offer greater protection for public health—especially for children and families.
Frische questioned Forte about the potential liability the city and community might face should residents become ill from exposure to contaminants at the site. City administrators have said the contractor, CEC, is certified and provides some level of liability protection to the city.
“Are you saying the city has zero liability?” Frische asked Forte.
Forte—who was previously hired by the former owner of the contaminated property, Bob Nichols—responded that he believes the community would not bear liability for future illness claims arising from the project.
“You could spend tons and tons and tons of money to get to a lower level,” Forte said. “But the question is: what is the appropriate level for this kind of site?” He added, “Could it be cleaned up better? Sure, it could—but it would be ten times the cost.”
Forte emphasized that only scientific experts, such as the contractor CEC, are qualified to determine the appropriate cleanup standards.
Mayor Muryn has repeatedly expressed confidence that the contractor who previously cleared the land used appropriate standards for remediation.
Other items discussed during the meeting included the creation of an ad hoc committee to review city investment funds and new regulations regarding the placement of clothing donation bins within the city.